Accountants are the individuals responsible for ensuring that companies are financially responsible. They must excel at organisation and be very detail oriented. Accountants are consistently active with clients therefore they must be effective communicators and possess extensive problem-solving skills.
Accountants are charged with the task of providing accurate and practical financial information that helps investors, managers, and others make financial decisions with the least amount of risk. Accountants, normally known for tracking debits and credits, also prepare taxes, perform audits, and act as consultants for individuals as well as corporations.
Below are some skills needed to be successful as an accountant:
- Attentive to Detail - Every cent must be documented and properly tracked, especially as they relate to tax reporting.
- Computer Skills - Accountants must be familiar with inputting spreadsheets, tax documents, and reports.
- Maths Skills - Maths is the core foundation of an accountant’s job, so one must be knowledgeable of basic maths operations.
- Analytical Skills - An accountant must be able to look at complex documents and identify disparities within the numbers, identify cost-saving areas, and provide new solutions to any problems they observe.
- Communication Skills - Listening is key to understanding their client’s problems. Accountants must then clearly communicate productive solutions for their needs.
- Organisational Skills - Accountants must be highly organised keeping financial documents. They must ensure that all documents are stored and readily available when needed.
Accounting will continue to be highly in-demand field for individuals as well as corporations.
21st Century Skills required for this profession:
- Evaluate all documentation and data to create accurate reports
- Identify disparities in financial data
- Review complex documents to find trends, problems, and solutions
- Work with client to determine goals and priorities
- Build client rapport and trust
- Clearly communicate analyses and solutions
- Provide oral and written reports
- Delineate decision-making to clients
- Develop cost-saving strategies
MyStemKits is a collection of lessons that can be used with hardware such as a 3D printer, Mimio MyBot robots, and Labdisc portable labs. To view an example of a lesson that can be used to explore topics related to accounting, watch:
Boxlight MimioSTEM solutions offer a variety of materials that every educator can use to support STEM learning. To learn more about MimioSTEM solutions, go to global.boxlight.com.