Can you believe that this year is almost over?! Back in March, it almost seemed like we’d never get through 2020 yet here we are, looking forward to a new year…if we can just get through this winter break! For many of us, our kids have spent an inordinate amount of time in front of a screen. Give their eyes a break and have them try one (or more) of the activities below.* Have fun and see you in 2021!
- Go on an Alphabet Scavenger Hunt.
- Take a hike, and if you must, take a virtual one.
- Grab a few boxes and build a (coffee) drive-thru.
- Get the creative juices flowing with a mural.
- Choose a few family and friends and write them letters.
- Want to send an email instead? Learn how to write a digital letter.
- Bundle up and create a few snow sculptures, make frozen bubbles, construct an igloo (or two), or build a snow volcano!
- No snow? Make a kite and enjoy the windier weather.
- Exercise the mind and fingers with pumpkin pie play dough or simple origami
- Feeling snacky? Cook up some cracker pizza.
- Interested in having more fun with food while sneaking in some learning? Try making edible rocks, berry ink, or maple syrup snow candy.
- Make a lava lamp and spend hours staring at the ooey-gooey shapes.
- Gift some friends soap-on-a-rope!
- Examine the weather with a DIY weather station.
- Get lost in a book. Better yet, build a cosy blanket fort and enjoy your book in there.
- Take some art lessons.
- With the completed pieces of art, host an art gallery show.
- Host a (virtual) game night with classmates, friends, or family.
*Yes, there are some activities online. But they’re worth it!